Last month, one member commented the following in our blog:
“What is really needed is the ability to have your ad seen by only selected countries (for example, Tier 1 countries only) with the option for all other countries to be redirected to a secondary ad. This is especially important for paid advertising where your offer is only valid in certain countries.” – Steve Shapiro
I thought that was a great idea, so we started working on it right away.
This feature is now ready!
What Does It Do?
Imagine you are promoting a program, say ‘Program A’, that is only available in USA and Canada.
But when you promote the program in forums, traffic exchanges etc, you may get traffic from different parts of the world.
With the new ‘Geo Target‘ feature, you can send the traffic from USA and Canada to ‘Program A’ while sending the traffic from the other countries to another program that accepts international members.
How It Works?
To make geo-targeting possible, we need to make use of TRT Rotator.
TRT Rotator was initially created to allow you to rotate unlimited TRT Links based on different weightages.
Now we add another feature that allows you to rotate the links based on the location of the traffic.
For example, when someone from USA or Canada visits a TRT Rotator, the system can rotate ALL the links in that Rotator that have been set up to target USA and Canada.
At the same time, if someone from UK visit that Rotator, the system will send the traffic to another link that target ‘the rest of the countries’.
So regardless of where the traffic comes from, you have an offer that is right for them.
How To Use? Step By Step Instructions
The first two steps below are not new. You already know them if you have tried to create a rotator. What’s new are in Step 3 – 6.
1) First, you need to add the links you want to promote in TRT Links.
2) Create a TRT Rotator and add those TRT Links into it.
3) Show the links in the rotator if it is not already shown (by clicking the icon show in the arrow 1).
4) For the link(s) that you want to target, click the ‘Edit‘ button next to ‘Geo Target‘ (see arrow 2).
5) This will open a list of countries that you can target. Simply click to select the countries that you want to target and click ‘Save Changes‘.
6) Next, click the ‘Edit‘ button for the link that you want to show to the rest of the world (see arrow 3), select ‘Show to the rest‘ (see arrow 4).
This will be the “catch all” links. If the traffic is from an untargeted region, this link will be shown.
There is no limit on how you want to target and rotate. You can have several links for the same country or one link targeting different countries. The system will detect the traffic source, rotate the links based on the weightage and present one of matched links to the traffic.
Remember to have a ‘Show to the rest‘ link when you use Geo Targeting. Otherwise, the system will show a default untargeted message to the traffic from untargeted countries.
I hope you like this new feature. Let me know what you think in the comments below.